Hand-carved Kenyan Tea Spoon
These cute hand-carved tea spoons are made from sustainably-sourced African olive wood. Simplify your loose leaf preparation with these spoons, just scoop out 1 teaspoon of tea, per one cup of hot water, and enjoy! Our stainless steel Tea Infuser is the perfect partner for these tea scoops.
Hand-carved in Kenya, these spoons provide fair wages for approximately 80 carvers and sanders. Carving in Kenya is mostly a seasonal job because the demand is driven by tourism, so in the off-season there is a reduced need for workers. But our spoons are made year-round, creating sustainable employment for the carvers. 90% of the price JusTea pays for the spoons goes directly to the artisans, with the remaining 10% going to supplies and transport. Carvers earn about 2-3 times the minimum wage in Kenya.
All of the spoons are made from off-cuts of olive wood from larger items like bowls and tourist gifts (think carved giraffes). By turning these off-cuts into spoons the carvers reduce their waste and create for themselves additional income. Climate change looks a lot different in Kenya than it does in North America, the effects of which underscore the importance of increasing forest cover around the country. Our partnership together has committed to planting 3 trees for every 1 tree that is cut down to ensure forests are being replanted.
Since each spoon is hand-carved, the bowl size may vary slightly but it is approximately 1 teaspoon 🙂
Read more about our Kenyan spoon carving partnership here
Dimensions: 4.25″ long
KEEP ME IN THE LOOP!
Sign up to receive 10% off your first order and be kept in the loop about future discounts and news.